Action East Devon (AED) is charitable organisation providing services to help people lead happier and healthier lives.
AED defines a carer as somebody whose life is limited due to their responsibility to look after someone, without pay, because that person cannot manage alone due to illness, disability or frailty. The person being looked after may suffer from a mental illness, or experience difficulty with the use of illegal or prescribed drugs, or alcohol. The carer may be a family member, friend or neighbour, and they may be young or old.
Any individual, group or charitable organisation that is concerned with the needs of carers can access the service. People who are currently carers are especially welcome.
- Provide information to carers and to service planners, purchasers and providers
- Raise public awareness of carers and carers’ issues
- Promote the value of carers, and enable their active involvement in making decisions to ensure carer-led provision
- Promote good standards and equity of care provision across the Primary Care Trust areas of South Hams & West Devon, Teignbridge and Torbay
- Promote the sharing of good practice between agencies and member organisations in their work with carers